This post contains affiliate links please see my disclosure at the bottom of the page.
6 Ways to Support the Immune System!
I am constantly searching for effective yet natural remedies to help prevent and heal sickness. The best medicine is food and environment. We all know that sugar is bad for us, but we may not realize is how it turns off the immune system. One study determined when you eat 100 grams of sugar your white blood cells are 40 percent less effective at killing germs. Your immune system is sluggish for up to 5 hours after ingesting sugar. Instead of focusing on germs as the bad guys lets focus on what depletes and increases the immune system. Here is a list of what damages the immune system.
Some of these may surprise you and make you rethink our anti-bacteria obsession and look at other sources that deplete our immunity.
2. Processed carbohydrates which break down basically to sugar.
3. Chemically altered and artificial fats- think margarine. Poor quality fat causes inflammation and leads to immune abnormalities.
4. Exposure to man made chemicals, including cleaning, washing and personal care products.
5. Exposure to radiation, including electromagnetic frequencies for cell phones, computers, televisions. For more on radiationa and how to protect your self from it read: My Blog on Electromagnetic Frequencies.
6. Drugs including antibiotics, steroids, antidepressants, painkillers, and cold medicine (which is full of food coloring and preservatives).
7. Living in too sterilized an environment is strongly associated with compromised immunity. The immune system needs to be stimulated from microbes in the environment.
Let us now consider what actually supports and boosts the immune system.
1. Fresh animal fats from meats and dairy and cholesterol rich foods. Cholesterol is a key component in the bodies ability to repair immune cells. Studies indicate that toxins made by bacteria have been shown to bind to cholesterol, which effectively inactivates them.
2. Cold pressed oils like olive oil, nuts and seeds.
· Olive oil has natural antioxidants, is anti-inflammatory, and anti-bacterial and antiviral.
· A new favorite oil because of its anti-inflammatory property is Black cumin seed oil. Black cumin seed oil is beneficial to your immune system because it increases the number of white blood cells in your body.
· My favorite oil is cod liver oil. An ancient super food with abundant health properties and the best source of vitamin E and A
3. Onions and Garlic. Don’t underestimate the power of garlic- simple, cheap, and powerful.
4. Greens have all our nutrients power packed in them to support our immune system and health. If you have a hard time getting them down, throw them in a smoothie.
5. Probiotics and fermented foods. If all disease begins in the gut, according to Hippocrates, then health also comes from the gut, and gut health depends on the myriads of good bacteria from probiotics and fermented foods.
6. A life style of interacting with animals, physical activity in fresh air, and exposure to sunlight all boost our immunity. We were created to live an active life.
If you are interested in purchsing good immune boosting oils you can get them from my wellevate store with a 15% discount.
The foundation of health is good food and healthy lifestyle. So here is to staying healthy this winter, enjoying life, each other, and good food.
Netera MG, et al. Low-density lipoprotein receptor-deficient mice are protected against lethal endotoxemia and severe Gram-negative infections. J Clin Invest 1996;97:1366–72.
Picture in this post are copyright under Creative Commons Zero (CC0) license