Cure for PCOS
1 in 5 women have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) but few realize it and even fewer know they can heal their body naturally. Metabolic Chaos is a term coined by Reed Davis of Functional Diagnostic Nutrition. He explains that it exists because of hidden complexities in a person's metabolism and unappreciated influences from their environment. So the key is to find the cause of stress in the body that is affecting the hormones and help reverse it. We have two great keys with PCOS.
82% of women with excess androgens have PCOS. Remember, androgens are specific sex hormones: testosterone, DHEA, and Androstenedione. They have a masculine effect on the body.
50 to 80 % of women with high insulin have PCOS. High insulin is often connected to insulin resistance, when the cells become less sensitive to insulin and have to produce more of it to control glucose levels.
Interestingly, high androgens and insulin resistance are connected. This connection is explained further in my last blog: The Top Cause of Infertility in Women
High insulin can be controlled with diet. This may be why eating a low glycemic index diet increases fertility, because it lowers insulin rates and helps to reverse insulin resistance.
The glycemic index (GI) is a measure of how much the carbohydrates in a food raise your blood sugar. A low GI diet is primarly eating foods that raise the blood sugar, on a scale of 100, less than 55 out of 100. This helps to keep your blood sugars blanced.
Let’s take a quick look look at the adrenals. The adrenal glands produce cortisol, of which one of its jobs is to help balance blood sugars as a backup to the pancreas, which releases insulin. When the adrenal glands are continually being pulled on to do one job they have a hard time doing all the other jobs they have, including producing other hormones. They can even become depleated stop working. This may be a root for PCOS and part of metabolic chaos. So, supporting the adrenal glands with glandulars as well as lowering stress in the body, so the adrenals do not have to work as hard, helps to balance hormones and reverse PCOS.
Gentle daily exercise can help to lower stress as well. Try yoga or Pilates or a quick 20 minutes walk daily
How to lower androgens
- Diet is key to lowering androgens. Zinc defidiency been connected to higher androgens. So make sure your whole food multi vitamin contains zinc balanced with copper.
- Dairy foods all increase a component called matrix metalloproteinase or MMK which is known to increase inflammation and raise androgen levels in the body.
- Protein helps to lower androgens. Be sure to choose quality organic chicken and turkey, low mercury fish, and grass fed beef.
- Sugar raises serum insulin which raise androgens and cause excess androgen symptoms.
- Emphasize Omega 3s which are anti inflammatory. Eat wild Alaskan salmon and take a fish oil supplement daily.
A few specific supplements help the body to deal with insulin better
- Chromimum is a mineral that causes your body to be more senstive to insulin and thus reverses insulin resistance and lowers both serum insulin and glucose.
- Inositol is a B vitamin known to improve insulin senstivity. D-chiro-inosital and myo-inositol are two types that help with PCOS.
- Cinnamon is a natural insulin sensitizer. It stimulates glucose uptake by fat cells
- Saw palmetto reduces coversion of testosterone to the more potent DHT. It also blocks androgen receptors, so it lowers androgens.
- Tian Gui is a mixture of Chinese medicine herbs effective in combating high androgens.
You can purchace a few of these in my online store here: PCOS resources
The hardest part of reversing PCOS may be finding what is causing stress in the body to begin with. What is the root cause of high insulin and high androgens? This is where the idea of Metabolic Chaos comes in. Something is causing stress, which is pulling on your stress hormones and causing an imbalance between your hormones. In order to cure PCOS it is important to figure out what one or many things is causing that stress. It could be environmental: mold, allergies, or electrical magnetic frequencies. It could be in your body: dental work, low lying infection, structural issues. It could be emotional issues.
There are many ways to support the body and heal it from PCOS. Lowering insulin and androgen levels and balancing hormones through diet and supplements and lifestyle is the key. The next steps are finding what causes the imbalance, removing the stress, and supporting the healing process. It is completely possible to heal from PCOS.
I would love to work with you to help you find the answer to reversing PCOS.
The Hormone Cure by Sara Gottfried, MD
A Mind of Your Own by Kelly Brogan, MD
Natural Fertility Info Website http://natural-fertility-info.com/pcos-fertility-diet
Picture in this post are copyright under Creative Commons Zero (CC0) license